PDA

View Full Version : Is Pharrell ruining Bape

crs-1
11-22-2006, 08:28 AM
So Pharrell Williams is like Nigo`s new James Lavelle, but Lavelle didnt really have any influence over Nigo and consequently Bape continued to make clothes which were subtle and unique looking but made people want them. Since Nigo has hooked up with Pharrell Bape seems to be releasing really over the top designs, with colours that give you a headache and I wouldnt be suprised if Pharrell now had creative input in Bape.

Look at the best tee thread for proof of this, all of the tees mentioned are old ones and virtually nothing from the new season.

What do you reckon?

"a"
11-22-2006, 08:34 AM
Also Nigo has become somewhat distracted from Bape maybe after taking on BBC/Ice Cream as the re-releases keep releasing and not much of the stuff is original anymore. I still love Bape, but there are less and less must have pieces as the season progresses.

Absolution
11-22-2006, 09:04 AM
I think Pharell is just Nigo's shadow.

If he had any input on Bape designs , Nigo would return the favor and give

him some pointers on the BBC / Ice Cream stuff. Pharells stuff is really slippin

recently. Just my opinion.

Bossman75
11-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Pharrell is too busy ruining BBC/Ice Cream to have anything to do with BAPE.

He just floods the shit out of the market with all sorts of cartoon designs and crazy colourways. It does not come across as exclusive, just expensive.

I personally think BBC/Ice Cream is marketed more for the younger generation (Under 21s) where as Bape seems to cater for the oldies like me still.

Undftd
11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
pharell should just stick with N.E.R.D and come back out with more hot
bape & nike collabos instead

TRUE STORY

Classic
11-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Lavelle didnt really have any influence over Nigo

fairly sure it was through hanging out with lavelle, ben drury and co that nigo was introduced to futura, stash and kaws amongst others

as far as pharrell goes my opinion flips all the time~~one thing i can settle on is regardless of the designs, billionaire boys club is a retarded name for a brand

for me the last 3 or 4 years have been by far the most exciting for ape which is about the same duration as nigo has known pharrell :eek:

TarO_BoI
11-22-2006, 12:02 PM
i dont think there is anything that hasnt been said already, pharell isnt taking it ni the right direction as most of us see it going, you see bape and you think originality and a piece that stands out, but you also see something thats really classy and really well thought out, but with some of the stuff pharell has had obvious input on, things are getting alot worse for bape, and looking more like something totally different

allBAPEDout
11-22-2006, 12:13 PM
I dont think Pharrell has that much of an say so on bape designs as some1 would think. I mean nigo was successful b4 he met Pharrell, so he necessarily dont need Pharrell's opinion. But im sure nigo listens to any of Pharrell's ideas and determines for himself whats gonna get finalized or not. And as far as BBC/IceCream, it jus looks like Pharrell or whomever is in charge of whats gets made, is tryin to hard to impress customers. He should've stuck with what season1 had started instead of forging ahead with those crazy designs. But then again Pharrell's an eccentric person so its only natural that it'll overrun into his clothing line.

prins
11-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Pharrell is doing to much but not enough toward what he is good at, music.

kachun_ng
11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Pharrell should focus on the music. I'm not impressed with his designer's touch so far.

evoke13 ver3
11-22-2006, 12:49 PM
^^^ yeah bbc and ice cream are starting to go down... designs are whack nowadays

BUKIsunrise
11-22-2006, 12:51 PM
i miss N.E.R.D...

solo Pharrell isn't flyin so high. -_-

kachun_ng
11-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't think it was good to begin with...

Love his music before he started all this designing ish.

K.

^^^ yeah bbc and ice cream are starting to go down... designs are whack nowadays

geoff
11-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Pharrell isn't ruining Bape so much as American culture is ruining Bape, I believe this has been mentioned before on BT2.

Anjinzuka01
11-22-2006, 05:56 PM
to be honest i dont think pharrell really knows whats ging on w/ Bape as much as we do, reason why I say this. Last sunday while standing in line for the knit the manager yelled out that all knts had been sold out, I was left there standing alone after eveyone left. As Im getting ready to walk in to exclusive I notice this guy and girl walk right up to me, pharrell. He goes in I go in and we go up stairs, no one really know s whats going on bc he is alone. When we were upstairs we are looking at the new roadstas(city) and he asks me if he could get those, I told him no. So he says'' my girl and I are goingto the states monday, I want to buyt something, what can I buy?'' ''What came out today?'' I looked at him confused thinking all he has to do is hit up Nigo. I pointed at the new Milo stas and the sohes on the floor, he picked up the new suade stas and 4 more pairs. He walked out the store w/ the new stas on his feet got on a cab and bounced. To me isnt that crazy? so I dont really think he is into it as much as us as far as what is coming out, dates, etc. I have pics, I havent post them but I will soon, I]m sorry fr the long response.....

kachun_ng
11-22-2006, 06:13 PM
That's interesting. Sometimes we assume that just because people work together that they must be tight, but I guess it's just a working relationship like many others. Funny how he's trying to cop anything that's new regardless of how they look like. That plus the fact that he doesn't know any release dates nor does he get free stuff send to him before a release.

Classic
11-22-2006, 06:44 PM
considering guys like edison get sacks of latest bape gear sent to them c/o nigo u would think tht would be same case with pharrell

but i heard he was shopping in bws london too maybe its just to make an appearance

geoff
11-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Interesting story Anjinzuka01. I always suspected him and Nigo to just have a working relationship. I think they use each other for exposure and Pharrell using Nigo for credibility.

Classic
11-22-2006, 06:46 PM
theres also the fact they dont speak the same language

keefboz
11-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Just want to say this is one of the more interesting threads i've read for a while, the story by Anjinzuka01 was awesome. A lot of good points made, however i can't add to them :)

Blackspade
11-22-2006, 08:19 PM
To end this debate, Pharrell has no fashion sense and his recent music has been horrible. So he's neither a designer nor a decent rapper.

slimydog
11-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Pharrell is doing to much but not enough toward what he is good at, music.

I have to agree with the man. However, I have one beeper BBC, cause it matches nicely with my Osaka BWS madstas, but everything else comes off a little bland.

keefboz
11-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I have a couple bones and cones hoodies, i love that symbol, can't help it!!

crs-1
11-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Just want to say this is one of the more interesting threads i've read for a while, the story by Anjinzuka01 was awesome. A lot of good points made, however i can't add to them :)

Cheers. Its nice to see some proper responses, much more adult nature here than other forums.

chris_da_lanky_1
11-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Cheers. Its nice to see some proper responses, much more adult nature here than other forums.

Agreed:) Good discussion

debs
11-23-2006, 09:41 AM
pharrell and nigo probably have a working relationship and definitely have a language barrier...i'm willing to bet that nigo does let pharrell get exclusive stuff, but every so often and not all the time. if pharrell didn't pick it out when he went to japan in nigo's private stash of new stuff, he probably has to wait like everyone else.

lets says thats not the case though. consider that pharrell also has a hectic work schedule. he's in concerts with other artists, in the studio working on neptunes stuff/nerd stuff?/other artists stuff, pics for magazines, etc. he's not going to know all the release dates and what comes out on what date.

to answer the thread starter's question, i think bape was ruined when it hit american audiences via hip hop other than the underground artists and artists that aren't usually paid attention to. i hate to say it but when wayne started to rock it and the bootleggers got to it harder, thats when it became like it is today. IMO.

Asami
11-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Well, the BBC line may not be all that, I do think sometimes the designs are hot. I love Bones & Cones, en the BBC logo with the astronaut boy is pretty tight as well. Ice cream on the other hand simply sucks, and especially the shoe line.

As far as Pharrell goes, I think he's got zero influence regarding the designs. There was this interview done by the Teriyaki Boyz when his BBC store opened in Japan, and there you saw a good example:
Pharrell:''So, I told Nigo how I wanted it and he created it even better than I could have imagined.''

Or, how the real situation went:
Pharrell: I want something with an astronaut, and a beeper, and a diamond... And the rest was done for him by people who are better at it.

crs-1
11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
pharrell and nigo probably have a working relationship and definitely have a language barrier...i'm willing to bet that nigo does let pharrell get exclusive stuff, but every so often and not all the time. if pharrell didn't pick it out when he went to japan in nigo's private stash of new stuff, he probably has to wait like everyone else.

Trust me on this you can be a 100% sure that Pharrell doesnt have to wait or pick what he likes. My mate used to work for Mo Wax Arts and Lavelle used to get Bape just sent to him and people at Mo Wax would regularly receive stuff from Bape, Bounty Hunter, Supreme and so on.

No one who gets Bape for free has to wait it just turns up.

Birdman
11-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Point is, without Pharrell, BAPE either wouldnt be here or be as popular.

Most likely wouldnt even hit the Amercian streets.
Maybe he is ruining it, But don't hate on the guy.

crs-1
11-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Point is, without Pharrell, BAPE either wouldnt be here or be as popular.

Most likely wouldnt even hit the Amercian streets.
Maybe he is ruining it, But don't hate on the guy.

I am not hating on him, I am just saying I preferred Bape when it didnt look like things look when you have dropped too much acid.

geoff
11-23-2006, 03:53 PM
^^ roflcopter

jkaws
11-23-2006, 05:30 PM
i think bape and bbc/icecream is all workin to each other's benefit notice how the hoodies and t shirts that come out to macth certain bapes exactly come out in the bbc/icream brand. and some of the stuff they make is similar like the jeans.

Anjinzuka01
11-23-2006, 06:24 PM
you know whats funny? Bape here looks at BBC/ICE CREAM as a competition store. Staff from Bape are not really encouraged to rock BBC/ICE CREAM..I think its funny, every time I go in to Yokohama store rocking BBC or ICE CREAM I get the ''nande''? (why?)

crea
11-23-2006, 11:10 PM
lol
they are the same brand, why competition?
guess its like gucci/ysl
the staff at gucci hate ysl

keefboz
11-23-2006, 11:11 PM
gucci > ysl

jkaws
11-23-2006, 11:56 PM
i knoww thats crazy how similar the two brands are but they have like little rivalry, or watever you wanna call it. but coming of the subject a bit any word of a BBC/Ice Cream store coming to NY??? Cause Barney's and Union is gettin kinda on my nerves lol........

geoff
11-24-2006, 04:29 AM
Its good for companies to encourage competition between their subbrands...It's good for business in the long run.

baby.bape
11-24-2006, 08:12 AM
I think Pharell is just Nigo's shadow.

If he had any input on Bape designs , Nigo would return the favor and give

him some pointers on the BBC / Ice Cream stuff. Pharells stuff is really slippin

recently. Just my opinion.

Absolution i totally agree with you. Pharell may be a good rapper but he can't design clothes for nuts! BBC is the freaking ugliest shit out there, nothing compared to bape. I reckon Nigo just need Pharell's influence in america to promote bape. And Nigo prolly doesn't even like BBC designs, prolly pretends to like em. BBC hoodies, freaking disgusting stuff, they look like quality fapes, cept for the white D&D hoody, thats alright.

plasticfish
11-30-2006, 07:35 PM
i think bape and bbc/icecream is all workin to each other's benefit notice how the hoodies and t shirts that come out to macth certain bapes exactly come out in the bbc/icream brand. and some of the stuff they make is similar like the jeans.

Yes thats exactly the point....and I really think BBC/Icecream's designs are doing pretty bad recently..

bigtulley
11-30-2006, 09:46 PM
you know whats funny? Bape here looks at BBC/ICE CREAM as a competition store. Staff from Bape are not really encouraged to rock BBC/ICE CREAM..I think its funny, every time I go in to Yokohama store rocking BBC or ICE CREAM I get the ''nande''? (why?)

now that's funny. they work together, but still try to outsell. a true love / hate relationship.

but i don't think BAPE has to worry. it has completely different designs and pieces and is much more established.

bigtulley
11-30-2006, 10:02 PM
to answer the thread starter's question, i think bape was ruined when it hit american audiences via hip hop other than the underground artists and artists that aren't usually paid attention to. i hate to say it but when wayne started to rock it and the bootleggers got to it harder, thats when it became like it is today. IMO.

firstly, i feel AND respect this comment. i won't say that bape is ruined though. some people say that bape has lost its original appeal. i, and a bunch of other folks still love it though. the striking designs and unique colorways are flavor for a coordinated world. when i say coordinated, your black/gray, black/white, red/white, etc. that you normally see in mainstream stores. its popularity in hip-hop has gained it mainstream status, but i don't think it will ruin the brand. the pieces are still limited, and the designs are still changing up so you still may not see yourself walking down the street. . .

dennisrodman91
11-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Pharrell- tries to hard to get attention and tries to hard to start a new "style" (Rubber Boots, eskimo outfit)

Huey
11-30-2006, 11:16 PM
pharrell and nigo pwn

Stickz405
12-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Pharrell's is more like promoting BAPE, then ruining....

Huey
12-01-2006, 12:54 AM
how would pharrell ruin bape? his famous dumbass

germaNigo
01-20-2007, 11:40 AM
what do you think how often nigo see pharrell??not every day!i think nigo do it alone!!maybe a lil bit different but not bad-but-my opinion-the pharrell roadstas suck.http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/germaNigo/nigopharrellworld.jpg

ViciousVictories
01-20-2007, 11:53 AM
i agree with absolution.... BBC and ICe Cream especialy are soo extreme that its just too much, For instance the Waffel Hoodie???? why would you ever?. That to me is the LOwest of Lows, its horribul plain and simple

crs-1
01-20-2007, 12:10 PM
how would pharrell ruin bape? his famous dumbass

If you try reading the first post and paying attention to the words then you will understand what this thread is about.

It helps to make you look less stupid.

TVTIM
01-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Pharrell's influence on Bape is that of an introduction to the AMERICAN AUDIENCE.... Pharrell is not really considered HIP HOP in my book..... hes more of a pop star or almost more of a image then an artist...CHAD is the brain behind N.E.R.D. but regardless PHarrell is the face........Pharrell just showed us what it looked like almost what it was....DO remeber that CASSIDY was the first to show off Bapestas in a music video he had every liek WTF are those lol...Anyway Bape is Far from Dead....The bootleggers are only making the Brand stronger

TonyBG
01-20-2007, 01:25 PM
LIL WAYNE is gonna ruin bape if anything..

ZOMBY
01-20-2007, 01:30 PM
Pharrell isn't ruining Bape so much as American culture is ruining Bape, I believe this has been mentioned before on BT2.

Pharrell isn't ruining Bape so much as American culture is ruining Bape, I believe this has been mentioned before on BT2.............

Mr.Me Too
01-20-2007, 07:10 PM
i think bape is not being ruined its still good

sneakerz 101
01-20-2007, 08:40 PM
No its not P.. its Lil Wayne lol
but seriously BBC/Ice Cream went downhill. C'mon now Waffle hoodies? Hopefully the team gets back on track soon.